Let me be the first to say, I WAS WRONG. Spring most certainly has not sprung!! It’s currently snowing and has been nothing but gloomy the last few days- So forgive me, I’m new to this whole winter thing…
Like clockwork, my hormones, and the gloomy weather, have put me in the same mild slump I find myself in for a few days once a month. Instead of letting it control me, I’ve made a checklist (I love lists) of ways to lift my spirits (and it works every time)!
1. Take a shower. One of those shower, shave, exfoliate types of showers. And if you’re like me and feel happiest when you’re tan, follow it up with some self-tanner to really get your day going!
2. Call someone. Your best friend, your mom, your grandmother etc. They’d love to hear from you, and everyone feels better after some girl-talk.
3. Get active. Go to the gym, or if it’s pretty outside, go for a walk! Release those endorphins. Elle Woods says it best, “exercise give you endorphins; endorphins make you happy, happy people just don’t shoot their husbands.” 😇
4. Meditate. Will is much better at meditating than I am. My kind of meditation is mindlessly scrolling through my shopping apps. He uses a meditation app and really commits- something I plan on working on.
5. Do something nice for someone. It doesn’t have to be an extravagant gesture like building someone a house, although that does do the trick and is very much appreciated. Hold the door open for someone, make somebody’s day with a genuine compliment etc. I know being selfless is kinda selfish but everyone wins!!
6/7. Drink water & eat something nutritious. Your body might not be getting the nutrition it needs and feeling low can be a symptom. Put down your third iced-coffee of the day and drink some water, eat some veggies, TAKE A MULTI VITAMIN. Your mind and bod will thank you.
8. Get out of the house. This should be at the top of the list behind taking a long shower. Get yourself ready and leave. Go to the mall. Go to lunch. Go for a walk. Just go! And smile while you’re there!
9. Clean. I’ve recently discovered the therapeutic art of cleaning and oh boy do I love to clean . Especially when I’m stressed, having anxiety, or just not feeling right. I keep my house pretty neat at all times. Living in a mess can really add to your stress, but plot-twist, cleaning and living in a tidy space can relieve it! So make your bed when you wake up, put away that pile of laundry that’s been sitting there for days- I’m getting happy just talking about it.
10. Turn on some sing-along-songs. Yes, that’s actually a genre of music, or it’s not, I don’t know. Will laughs at me when I request them. There’s a Spotify playlist called “Have A Great Day!” or you can make your own. Either way, sing!
Everyone has those days where you just don’t feel happy and bright, but I promise this checklist can cure them! I even heard Kristin Bell mention she has one on her husband’s podcast- and if Anna has one, it must work!
Hope you have a great weekend- or beginning/end to your sprang break!!
Outfit is linked below. Unfortunately, I bought this skirt forever ago from Urban Outfitters and can’t find anything too similar!
Photos by Alex King
Hair by The Beauty Bar